How do I register for a course?
- Sign up on our Mailing List.
- We will notify Mailing List members of the class offerings, the opening of the registration window and other opportunities.
- Registration window will be open for 7 days only.
- Fill out the registration form noting your course preferences.
- At the end of the registration window, AppGen assigns each person a randomly drawn number.
- Each class will be formed from individuals who indicated that course as their first preference.
- If a course is over-subscribed, AppGen will create a wait list.
- If a course is under-subscribed, all individuals will be placed in their preferred course.
- Those on the wait list of over-subscribed courses will be offered placement in courses that are under-subscribed, but only if you registered a second or third choice.
- You will then be notified of your course placement.
- Once you are notified of your class placement, you have five days to pay electronically at the “Store.”
It does not matter when you sign up during the window. It is NOT first come, first served, but do not hesitate.
What if I want to sign up for two courses?
Feel free to do so, but consider two things. Make sure the dates and times do not conflict in your time zone. These are practicum-based courses and you will have homework every week. There is no price break for multiple courses.
What if a course is offered a second time, can I take it twice?
Yes, but priority is given to those who are taking it for the first time. Courses are rarely taught more than once, which keeps the content fresh.
What is your payment policy?
Prompt payment by PayPal is expected within five (5) days after you are notified of your placement in a course. Failure to pay for your course reservation within 5 days after AppGen notifies you of your classroom placement will result in cancellation of your placement and an assessment of a $50 administrative fee which covers administrative costs.
What is your cancellation policy?
Cancellation refund requests, subject to the same $50 cancellation fee, must be received in writing no later than 30 days before the start of the course. No refunds if cancelled 29 days or less. Any owed cancellation fees will be carried over to the following year. There is no charge for transferring between courses in the same semester. Within the limitations outlined, contact Maria Wittwer, CG (firstname.lastname@example.org) and let her know you wish to cancel.
How much does a course cost?
Each course is priced at $300. We are committed to paying where it reaps the most benefits for you–the instructors. We pay our teachers well and having the lowest overhead. No swag.
How will you communicate with me?
There are multiple ways we communicate with you:
- AppGen Mailing List : sign up to hear about class offerings, registration window opening etc.
- Facebook page (Applied Genealogy Institute (AppGen)) Our community is small but growing!
- We aren’t active yet on Twitter, Instagram or Pinterest, but will be.
You can communicate with us by using our Contact Us! page.
Will there be an orientation?
Yes, not elaborate and only if the instructor deems it necessary. Usually it consists of a Zoom sound check in the few minutes before the first class.
Will the class size really be kept to 15?
Yes, we are committed to a small class size.
Is there homework and if so, how many hours should I plan on allocating towards it?
To maximize your learning AppGen believes that applying what you have learned to real world problems and your own work is critical. Each week you will be given homework. It the past students have spent between 5-10 hours a week on the homework, but we are also aware that life can intervene.
Will the classes be recorded?
Yes, we record the sessions and make them available for students in the class. Some segments cannot be recorded, such as the break out sessions. The recordings will be available for only a short time after the class is completed and will not be downloadable.
I would love to teach in your institute! Is that possible?
Yes! We would love to receive your proposal. You can contact any of the founders and pitch your idea. We issue formal Calls for Proposals two times a year–once for the fall session and again for the spring. Start thinking now about your areas of expertise and how your program might be structured. Remember, because our class size is small we can manage “boutique” genealogical topics.
Good! So are we.