What is the Applied Genealogy Institute?
AppGen is an exciting, new educational option for genealogists! Join us for stress-free registration, small, virtual classes, useful homework assignments, and helpful teacher-student interactions.
Check out our Spring 2024 classes!
- Architectural Ancestry: A Course in House History, Instructor: Jill Morelli, CG, CGL and FAIA Emeritus
- The Art of Self-Editing for Genealogists, Instructor: Pam Anderson, CG
- Bagging A Live One – Finding Living People, Instructor: Mary Kircher Roddy, CG
- DNA Foundations – Tools and Techniques, Instructor: Edward J. Swierczewski Jr.
- Using Google Earth Pro to Enhance and Share Your Research, Instructor: Marie Palmer
Thank you everyone for a great Fall 2023 registration!
We are excited! Check out the genealogy tips from Lisa, Mary and Jill! Here’s the site: Genealogy Tips at
The Applied Genealogy Institute (AppGen) is an educational opportunity conceived by three practicing genealogists and successful instructors–Mary Kircher Roddy, CG; Lisa S. Gorrell, CG and Jill Morelli, CG, CGL. Their many years of teaching experience, their passion for strong genealogical education options, coupled with your desire to learn, will make your learning adventure a success.
AppGen provides the student with a unique online genealogy education experience with a high degree of instructor-student interaction utilizing a practicum-based approach. The founders believe that “Learn by Doing” is a more effective way to gain knowledge by putting those newly learned skills to use immediately.
We structured AppGen to take advantage of our experiences with attending almost 40 institute courses, numerous conversations with attendees and an meeting with an advisory panel to identify best practices.
AppGen’s goals are to:
- Provide strong intermediate and advanced genealogy education;
- Enhance the student experience by providing practical problems where students learn by doing;
- Maintain small classes which enables a high degree of instructor interaction during the classes and with the homework;
- Provide meaningful weekly homework where the student can “Learn by Doing,” usually 5-10 hours per week;
- Create a safe learning environment where all students feel comfortable in asking questions;
- Provide education in a virtual environment to engage those genealogists who can’t attend in person because of work, family obligations, or other personal circumstances; and
- Make registration easy and stress-free!
Jill Morelli, CG, CGL
Lisa S. Gorrell, CG
Mary Kircher Roddy, CG
The Applied Genealogy Institute lived up to its “learn by doing” tagline. The hands-on, practicum-based approach offered a thorough analysis of case studies and hit the goldilocks zone for the student-instructor talking time ratio…The smaller class size really made it possible for students to participate as they wished.–Pam V. (Irish Research)
Thank you for creating AppGen! Can’t wait to see what courses are offered next. –Attendee (Exploring Broad Context)
I highly recommend the Applied Genealogy Institute. It was a wonderful learning experience. The course had a small student to instructor ratio, a robust syllabus and instructive homework assignments. Lisa took the time to provide helpful feedback on my homework. … I look forward to participating in future courses. — Tracey P. (Land Research)